The Ojai Valley Sanitary District was formed in May 1985 under the Sanitation District Law of the State of California. The District is governed by a seven member Board of Directors and provides a complete range of sewer related services involving the administration, operation and maintenance of a collection system and wastewater treatment facility.
The OVSD was created through the annexation of the Sanitation Department of the City of Ojai to the Oak View Sanitary District followed by the consolidation of the Ventura Avenue, Oak View, and Meiners Oaks Sanitary Districts. They shared the plant’s operating and maintenance expenses in proportion to their metered flows and strength of discharge. The complications of billing the participating agencies for wastewater treatment, plus Ojai and Meiners Oaks having exhausted their capacity entitlements, motivated consolidation. The OVSD honors all commitments made by the previous agencies, and serves 10,600 Equivalent Residential Units through a collection system approximately 107 miles long. The area occupies approximately 4,625 acres of Ventura County.
OVSD is located in the Ventura River Watershed. The main tributaries include San Antonio Creek, Coyote Creek and Canada Larga Creek. The Ventura River empties into the Santa Barbara Channel five miles south of the treatment plant.
OAK VIEW SANITARY DISTRICT
Oak View Sanitary District was established January 26, 1959. It encompassed the unincorporated area of Oak View, extending from the Ventura River along Highway 33 for four miles, with islands at Live Oak Acres and Casitas Springs.
The treatment plant was built in 1963 as a 1.4 million gallons per day (mgd) plant, and expanded in 1965 to 3.0 mgd. The Meiners Oaks Sanitary District contracted with Oak View July 18, 1963 for 600,000 gallons per day of plant capacity. Similar contracts in August 1963 provided the City of Ojai with one mgd of plant capacity, and the Ventura Avenue Sanitary District for capacity in 1966. An upgrade in 1982 brought the plant’s effluent into compliance with requirements of the Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control Board.
MEINERS OAKS SANITARY DISTRICT
Meiners Oaks Sanitary District was established in 1959, and sold $1.7 million in General Obligation bonds in 1963 to finance construction of its collection system. These bonds matured in 2003. Wastewater was treated at Oak View’s treatment plant. Meiners Oaks capacity entitlement at the Oak View plant was approaching the maximum by the time of consolidation.
VENTURA AVENUE SANITARY DISTRICT
Ventura Avenue Sanitary District was established in 1965. It served a sparsely populated area zoned for agricultural, commercial, open space, manufacturing, and residential uses along the Ojai Freeway north of Ventura. The collection system, including two lift stations and a force main required to deliver the sewage to the treatment plant, was built with $525,000 in bonds sold in 1966, which matured in 1997.
CITY OF OJAI
The City of Ojai, incorporated August 5, 1921, built 54,000 feet of sewage collection lines in 1927, which are the oldest lines in the District. Ojai operated a primary treatment plant which discharged effluent of the San Antonio Creek.
The City’s collection system expanded during the 1950’s and 1960’s to meet the development needs. Improvements/expansions were added to its treatment plant in 1929, 1954 and 1959. By 1959, the City determined the plant was still inadequate. Engineering studies in 1959 and 1961 concluded the best possible solution was to abandon the plant and divert wastewater to the proposed Oak View Sanitary District Treatment Plant.
The City contracted for one mgd in capacity rights in the new Oak View Treatment Plant and completed the Creek Road Trunk sewer in 1964.